7.29.2008

Artist: Lisamarie Charlesworth

Lisamarie has a great collection of her mixed media pieces on display and her bio gives a great description of how she arrives at the end result. She is an artist that gives careful consideration to each element of her work and it shows! 

"Almost all of the work I make draws inspiration from my ongoing fascination with the past. I grew up hearing stories about the “good old days” from my grandparents, aunts and uncles, many of whom were first and second generation Americans who lived through both World Wars and the Great Depression. Lucky for me, they saved everything…old papers, greeting cards, books, kitchen and instruction manuals, advertising and design samples, boxes, containers, tools and of course string. Their experiences and tangible remnants from their lives form the fabric of my personal history. As a result, their stories surface continually in my work. My work juxtaposes family relic with basement treasures or similarly rescued found objects. I relish the notion of historical patterns recycling themselves through time. This repitition is both alarming and comforting - an odd dichotomy that intrigues me. In my day job, I have spent 20 years in marketing and public relations for non-profit arts organizations. When not promoting visual art, the performing arts or music, I make art. I am employed as the Marketing Director for the Vermont Youth Orchestra Association. I studied art and art history at Trinity College, the L’universite de Besancon, France and at the University of Vermont. My work has been shown in galleries and private venues in Vermont and New York. A native of Buffalo, NY, I live and create art from my home and studio in St. Albans." 

No comments: